25 Things Not to Miss in Armenia
Are you planning a visit to Armenia? There are so many things to see in Armenia. And here is the list of 25 top attractions in Armenia not to miss if you are in the country. We will help you to find out the must see places in Yerevan and some awesome activities to do in Armenian Marzes.
On the roads of Armenia
- Garni is a standing 1st century Greco-Roman colonnaded temple one of a kind in the entire Post Soviet countries.
- Garni Gorge is of the natural wonders of Armenia, also listed in the UNESCO world heritage sites. Here is the Symphony of Stones; cliff walls with basalt columns.
- Not far from Garni temple is located another UNESCO world heritage site; 4th and 13th century Monastery complex Geghard.
- Etchmiadzin Cathedral is a 4th century church and the first Christian church in the world. From its foundation till the 5th century, and starting from 1441 Etchmiadzin is the seat of all Armenian Catholicos; spiritual leader of the Armenian church. Etchmiadzin is listed in the UNESCO world heritage site.
- Not far from Etchmiadzin is situated the ruins of Zvartnots Cathedral. Build in the 7th century it served as the main seat of Catholicos until it was destroyed in the 10th The ruins of Zvartnots are in the UNESCO world heritage sites list.
- Situated in Aragatsotn Marz, Saghmosavanq is a 13th century monastery complex built by prince Vache Vachutyan.
- To celebrate 1600 year of creation of Armenian Alphabet in 2005 Armenian Alphabet Monument with the statue of St. Mesrop Mashtots was installed not far from the city Aparan. This stone alphabet is made of famous Armenian tufa.
- Built in the 10th century the ruins of Amberd fortress is located 2,300m (7,500ft) above the sea level, on the slope of Aragats Mountain.
- Former prison and monastery since the 7th century, Khor Virap is famous as Gregory the Illuminator, the first official Catholicos of Armenian Apostolic church, was imprisoned here for 14 years in the 3rd century.
- Another UNESCO world heritage site is located in Lori Marz. Sanahin and Haghpat Monastery Complexes are built in the 10th century and were key centers for culture and education.
If you are looking for some active rest, then check out these 5 things to do in Armenia.